- Security Staff
- ID Cards / Access Control
- Campus Parking
- Security Services
- Campus Safety
- Emergency Procedures
- Contact Us
Notification in advance of weather systems:
Campus Reminder Notice
Below is a reminder notice on Acadia’s guidelines to weather-related events and emergencies on campus. This information is located on the Department of Safety and Security website for future reference.
Weather-Related Events and Emergencies on Campus
Acadia University’s Emergency Response Team assesses and shares information to our campus community and the general public when there is a weather-related event or emergency situation with the potential to disrupt campus operations.
Decisions regarding campus operations during weather-related events are based on a protocol of careful monitoring of the Environment Canada Weather Office, Emergency Management Office for the province of Nova Scotia, and RCMP advisories; as well as consultation with NS Department of Transportation, Town of Wolfville Public Works, and Physical Plant Services. Weather-related class cancellations and campus closures are at the discretion of the University’s Senior Administration. Emergency situations on campus require timely decisions, which are coordinated by Acadia’s Department of Safety and Security in consultation with Senior Administration.
Decisions are made and communicated as early as possible.
Acadia University shall use available resources and exercise good judgment to:
- Preserve and protect the health and safety of our campus community and visiting public.
- Minimize disruption of infrastructure and research to protect and preserve the academic experience and workplace environment.
- Ensure communication to students, faculty, staff, other members of the Acadia community, and the general public is a priority during a weather-related event or emergency situation.
- Ensure a timely return to normal operations following a weather-related event or emergency situation.
Student and Employee Responsibilities
Members of the Acadia campus community are urged to monitor forecasts and road conditions, check email accounts for Urgent-All-Acadia messages, call ahead to Acadia’s Emergency Information Line, or call your campus voice mailbox for updates before making travel decisions. Individuals travelling to the campus are asked to leave themselves enough time to travel safely, drive for the conditions, and to use caution on campus when walking. Always assess conditions and decide if travel is safe for you. For individuals who choose not to travel, please communicate directly with your respective instructor, supervisor, or event organizer. Non-essential employees can utilize vacation days or make alternate arrangements with their supervisors.
Acadia’s University Class Cancellation and Closing Policy can be viewed at http://ow.ly/i8b0M
For additional campus emergency-related information, contact the Department of Safety and Security.
Students, faculty, and staff are not expected to come to campus when Acadia University cancels classes, labs, tutorials, tests, and exams. The University will provide access to the Vaughan Memorial Library (Circulation Desk), K.C. Irving Environmental Science Centre, Acadia Athletics Complex, Acadia Students’ Union Students’ Centre and other campus facilities based on the ability to provide adequate staffing and cleared walkways and roads. Residence buildings and Wheelock Dining Hall will operate as usual.
University Campus Closed
When campus is closed, all facilities are closed and scheduled activities are cancelled (including external bookings). Only staff members deemed essential are required on campus during a campus closure as determined by operational needs in accordance with supervisory direction and policy. Residence buildings and Wheelock Dining Hall will operate as usual.
Special Events Cancelled
Where campus facilities have been rented for functions but Acadia has made the decision to close that facility or the campus, the University department responsible for booking the rental will notify the event organizer. The renter is responsible for communicating the cancellation to the participants.
If a weather-related event or emergency situation disrupts campus operations, notification will be provided as soon as possible.
- Email notification sent through the Urgent All Acadia address.
- Voicemail messages sent to on-campus residence and office telephones. Please call (902)542-2200 and press 3 to log in to your voice mailbox for a message.
- Emergency Information Line - (902) 585-4636 (585-INFO) to receive a prerecorded message on campus status.
- Acadia Web site - the main page (www.acadiau.ca) will post notifications. Radio Stations (K-Rock 89.3, Magic 94.9, AVR 97.7, and CBC 106.5) will be contacted to provide public broadcast updates. Please note: the timing and content of these announcements will be at the discretion of the broadcaster.
- Residence Life Staff - will communicate directly with students living on campus.
- Fire Alarm - indicates the need to evacuate the building immediately.
For more information or assistance on campus, please contact the Department of Safety and Security by dialing 88 on all 585-phone systems, or by calling 585-1103. The office is staffed 24 hours daily. To report an emergency please telephone 911.
Whenever you receive an emergency notification, please act quickly and decisively, as directed.